How to Blog for Your Business and Why You Should Start
Out of the many tactics that can be incorporated into a small business marketing plan, perhaps one of the most crucial, yet often overlooked, components is a blog. Blogging for your business may be unfamiliar territory, but with a little instruction and a thoughtful strategy, you will find yourself blogging like a professional in no time.
Blogging is not solely for professional writers and industry professionals. Blogging is for everyone! If you have a business and want to promote and display your solutions and ideas to the public, then blogging is for you! More than ever, in the age of information, the internet is used to connect consumers with the goods and services they seek. Current data shows that over 61% of global internet users research products online prior to making a purchase.1
Blogging is the key to helping that 61% find you through a different type of marketing. It doesn’t intrude or disrupt like some traditional marketing tactics. Think of all those annoying car commercials telling you to “buy, buy, buy!” or the seemingly endless amount of direct mailers in your mailbox. How easy has it become to tune these efforts out or send them straight to trash can? Instead, blogging meets your potential customers where they are and gives them the information when and where they want it most.
So how does it work?
The short answer: When you blog for your business, you create valuable content and share it with potential customers. Search engines, like Google and Bing, index your content and scan it for keywords. Then, when users type those keywords into search, they find your blog and, more importantly, your business.
The more you blog, the more pages you create for your site and the more opportunities you create for people to find you through information they are seeking. Blogging builds instant equity for your site and your business. Check out some of the statistics:
- 92% of companies that blog multiple times a day acquire a customer through their blog.1
- Small businesses with blogs generate over 126% more leads than small business without blogs.2
- “Interesting content” is a top 3 reason why users follow specific brands on social media.2
- 46% of people read blogs more than once a day.1
Numerous sources will continue to echo these statistics and taut the merits of blogging for business. It is an excellent method for generating interest in your business and attracting a solid client base. So, how should you start?
1. Develop Your Blogging Strategy
Create a plan for your blogging efforts to stay organized and on track. Think about how many times a month you want to blog and how much time you have to dedicate to writing each post. A fantastic starting point for small businesses new to blogging is a weekly post. Depending on your writing abilities you may need to allot between 2 and 4 hours to write and edit each post.
Additionally, create a list of topics or keywords that you would like to target for your blogs. This typically includes: categories similar to services you offer, questions commonly asked by customers, and personal areas of expertise related to your business.
2. Set Up Your Blog for Your Business
There are many popular blogging services available and the good news is that most of them are free! Some of the most popular options are:
If you have an existing website you are going to want to host and install the blog on your own domain as sub-section of your website (i.e. www.yourcompany.com/blog). Most web hosting companies offer easy integration with sites like WordPress to do a simple installation of your blog. Check your hosting features to see what options are available to you. If you don’t have an existing website, your setup will be a little easier. Simply do your research and pick the blogging service that seems right for you.
3. Write A Blog Post
Once you have your strategy in place and your blog setup, the only thing left to do is write your first blog! Use the categories you set up in your strategy as a starting point for developing a topic to write on. Here are some guidelines you should follow for every blog post you write:
- Make the title descriptive, unique and enticing. Think about what would make you interested in reading an article or what prospective customers might be searching for. Examples:
- The Real Cost of…
- 10 Excellent Reasons Why…
- 5 Tips on…
- How to…
- 7 Lessons in…
- 3 Things You Didn’t Know About…
- Focus your content and develop it around keywords that you are targeting for your business. Get to the point and avoid tangents on topics that aren’t related.
- Structure your content so that it is easy to read using headings, bullets and numbered lists.
- Shoot for a word count between 400-800 words. Some audiences prefer shorter reading material while others prefer longer. Tailor your blog length to your specific audience.
- Include at least one image. Use images that relate to what you’re talking about and add value to your points. Avoid cliche stock photos when possible.
- Include links to your website and to your other related and relevant blog posts within the post. This creates more search engine value for your site.
- Create a call-to-action at the end of your post. What do you want the reader do next? Visit your website? Contact you about services? Get more information on a certain topic? Download resources? Make their next step clear and easy.
- Share your blogs on social media. Other than through search, this is the primary way through which people engage with your content.
Interested in learning more about how to setup a blog for your business? Contact K Design Co for more information.
- 1 – http://www.hubspot.com/marketing-statistics
- 2 – http://www.dcpubs.com/DCP-Blog/March-2014-1/The-Importance-of-Blogging/
Looking for a little guidance as you think about creating your website? Packed with guidance, tips and examples, this FREE interactive workbook walks you step-by-step from strategy to launch.
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Brand Strategist & Design Consultant
I specialize in helping entrepreneurs and business owners bring their passions and dreams to life through branding strategy and design. While I have vast experience working with companies, agencies and organizations of all sizes, I especially enjoy working with female entrepreneurs and women-owned businesses. It’s my privilege to work alongside business owners as they launch, grow and maintain their business’ brands. I’d love to have the opportunity to help you with your needs as well whether that be branding, logo design, web design or something else. Let’s chat!
Never miss a post and get all the goodness delivered right in your inbox!
You'll get a weekly email with my latest advice on all things branding, design and business. Are you in?
Do you need a website, like, yesterday?
If so, my free DIY Website Planner Workbook is for you!
Having trouble getting your website off the ground and knowing where to start? My free interactive website workbook will walk you through creating your website step-by-step so you can finally land your dream clients with a website that reflects your brand!