Custom Website Design vs Template Web Design
In this age of digital marketing, your website can be a crucial communication point for you and your customers. Making sure that the website design and user experience correctly reflects the personality of your brand can be a difficult task, not to mention an expensive one.
If you’re exploring your options about what to do with your small business budget, you’ll find there are two distinct paths you can take: purchase and customize a prefabricated website template or hire a designer/developer/agency to create a custom website design. How can you decide which is the right one for your business? Take a look at some of the pros and cons below:
Pre-made Website Templates
The availability of website templates has grown exponentially in the past 5-10 years with the growing popularity of development platforms like WordPress and Bootstrap. A website template will provide you with an already-coded foundation for you site from which you will need to further customize it with your content. If you’re looking for a “quick-and-dirty” solution, websites like squarespace.com, wix.com or themeforest.net are great places to start.
- Average Price – Free to $150 (per theme design) or monthly fee ranging from $5-$25.
- Time from Start to Finish – 1 to 4 weeks, depending on your motivation.
- Cheap and very accessible.
- Quick turnaround time.
- Limited/No assistance required from a designer/developer.
- May require some special knowledge/training to customize/setup. Hiring a designer to help setup could be an additional cost ranging from $250 – $1000.
- Limited design customization – usually restricted to logo, fonts and colors.
- Not typically strategy-based in relation to content and layout.
- May have limited functionality or integration abilities.
- Unknown construction quality from the developer (could be buggy).
- Excessive pre-built customization options could be confusing rather than helpful.
Custom Web Design
A custom website design will afford you a lot more opportunity for showcasing your brand and personality, but will also likely be more time-consuming and expensive to develop. The trade-off is that the design is 100% yours, and like a custom built house, is created with your fingerprint. If you are looking for a comprehensive solution, a custom website design is the best approach.
- Average Price – $1,200 to $4,500+ (K Design Co. prices only)
- Time from Start to Finish – 6 to 8 weeks.
- Allows you complete customization of entire layout, functionality and design elements.
- Designer/Agency handles all technical and strategic aspects.
- Built with specialized industry knowledge, web design best practices and research.
- Dedicated support and training available for any technical issues.
- Will require you to hire a graphic designer and developer or a design agency.
- Can be expensive and time consuming.
Whether you are looking for a fast and simple solution like a website template or a more custom website design solution, K Design Co. can help. Talk to K Design Co. today about your web design needs. Or you may want to check out our Web Design and Development Starter Checklist.
Looking for a little guidance as you think about creating your website? Packed with guidance, tips and examples, this FREE interactive workbook walks you step-by-step from strategy to launch.
Never miss a post and get all the goodness delivered right in your inbox!
You'll get a weekly email with my latest advice on all things branding, design and business. Are you in?
Do you need a website like yesterday?
Girl, I get it. Creating your own website is a lot of work, but don't worry, I got you! From hosting to design and copy, my DIY website planner walks you through creating your website from start to finish. Snag this freebie now so you can finally check your website off your to-do list with confidence! Just tell me where to send it and I'll shoot it over!